There is a difference between a depression with a little 'd' - which we all get - and depression with a big 'D'. Depression with a little 'd' is a natural response to having a bad day or hearing sad news. Depression with a big 'D' is when your whole energy and concentration is down and you are struggling to focus.If you have symptoms of depression you may want to talk about it with a counsellor. It is a very positive step in learning how to manage depression and to heal. Youdon't have to continue to feel like this.
What does depression look like?
- Feeling sad, anxious or bored
- Low energy, feeling tired or fatigued
- Under-sleeping or over-sleeping
- Poor concentration, your thinking has slowed down
- Loss of interest in hobbies, family or social life
- Low self esteem and feelings of guilt
- Aches and pains with no physical basis
- Loss of interest in living, thinking about death, suicidal thoughts
What are the benefits of counselling?
Gain some relief from your overwhelming, intense feelings
Develop coping strategies to manage difficult situations
Learn techniques and tools that are effective for you in the short and long term
Examine thoughts, feelings and behaviours that contribute to your low mood
Gradually explore the underlying causes of your depression
Reconnect with your goals, dreams, achievements and hopes for your future
Not feel so alone and open up with someone you can trust